U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Chatham, NJ
A 34-year-old female asked:

I suffer severe stomach pain at times.i've had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy.my doctor told me that i have reflux. zantac (ranitidine) 150 does not help.

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Scott Diede
A Verified Doctoranswered
30 years experience
PPI: If you have been diagnosed with gerd and zantac (ranitidine) is in effective, i would start a proton pump inhibitor (ppi). There are a variety that are available as over the the counter medicines (prilosec, prevacid). It can take a number of days for these to give relief. If you still are having symptoms after a week of starting the ppi, call your doc.
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Try a PPI: The h2 class blocker (zantac/pepcid/axid/ tagamet) sometimes are "too little too late" to address symptoms. You may need a proton pump inhibitor (ppi: prilosec, prevacid, nexium, (esomeprazole) etc.) for suppression, and still a "fire extinguisher" now and then-liquid antacid quickest (maalox/ mylanta/etc.). Continue the work w/your doc for a cause that might be able to be resolved, though.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Nov 11, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.