do you need more protein intake when weight training?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 48 years experience
For optimal results!: Weight training is one of the best sporting actvities. To optimize resluts, you should eat 2grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight (2.2 lbs), or approximately one gram per pound of weight. More than this will not help.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Yes but: You do need more protein, but there are many types of protein and varieties of dosages, etc. I would consult a personal trainer to advise you on what your goals are. Protein is always needed, but it must be digestible and taken at the right time.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 48 years experience
For your information the question was first answered by a professor of medicine, nutrition and exercise science (UT), and I was also Associate Director of UT's Nutrition Institute. I train nutritionists. Most personal trainers are idiots and there is no "one" certification!
Feb 5, 2014

Last updated Apr 28, 2014