my throat has been killing me for 2 days, how do i know if i need my tonsils out, or if i have strep throat?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Get seen!: Sore throat can be from many different reasons. Strep is the bacterial infection that doctors treat with antibiotics. Viruses cause many sore throats and there is not quick treatment. It is usually symptomatic treatment with gargles, lozenges, sprays and the like. Strep usually is accompanied by fever and a white covering on the tonsils. Viral infections can be the same. See your pcp.
Dr. Joel Teig
Dr. Joel Teig answered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
See your doctor: The best thing you can do when you don't know the cause of a medical problem is to see your doctor. The doctor can examine you and take cultures from your throat if needed to determine the cause.

Last updated Jun 22, 2018