U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old member asked:

What can i do to get rid of plantar fasciitis?

10 doctor answers18 doctors weighed in
Dr. Glenn Aufseeser
Podiatry 9 years experience
Plantar fasciitis: Stretching exercises, anti-inflammatories, orthotics, night splints and physical therapy can aid in the treatment of plantar fasciitis. If these therapies don't work, a physician might be required to perform injection therapy, electrotherapy or even a surgical release of the plantar fascia.
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry 12 years experience
Combo treatment. : The more you can do together, the better: #1: supportive shoes. #2: firm inserts or orthotics. #3: oral antiinflammatories (check with your doctor). #4: stretching your foot and calf. #5: icing (10 min at a time). You may also need physical therapy or cortisone injections, or eswt if available in your area.
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Treatment options: Begin with rest, ice massage, otc anti-inflammatories, & stretching the foot/ heel throughout the day. Make sure you are wearing shoes with an appropriate amount of support... Consider shoe inserts (arch support), and wearing night splints... Prp or steriod injections may be considered after the above options. For more information please see http://drmarkgalland.Com/what-is-plantar-fasciitis/.
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 36 years experience
Protocol...: I'd say 98% of my plantar fascitis patients respond to non-surgical treatments... Rest, supportive insoles, rx orthotics, otc anti-inflammatories (like aleve), prescription nsaid's, steroid injections, prp injections, physical therapy, etc... If all else fails... Surgery.
Dr. Robert Kornfeld
Podiatry 41 years experience
Plantar fasciits: A comprehensive approach to control biomechanical issues of the foot and support immune system pathways of repair. See a podiatrist for treatment.
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology 39 years experience
My treatment: I do not agree with current therapies for plantar fasciitis, especially when chronic. My at home therapy: to help healing, improve circulation with nightly soaking of feet in hot water and wearing heavy socks at night to keep feet warm. Activate local skin reflexes to increased local circulation and for pain control. Follow daily until completely resolved. Drugs are not needed.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Varies: There are a number of treatments available. Mild cases may do well with time to resolve and simple stretches; more severe with night orthotics or injection therapy; surgery is reserved for severe cases which fail nonoperative care.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 41 years experience
See below: Rest, ice, compression, elevation. May need orthotics, anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy, cortisone injection, surgery. See a podiatrist.
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology 39 years experience
Treatment: I respectfully disagree with most of my colleagues. RICE treatment is only appropriate for acute injury. Most people have chronic symptoms, and can be treated by encouraging the body to increase circulation and limit pain.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Go conservative!: Most people who have plantar fasciitis recover with conservative treatments in just a couple months. NSAIDs OTC, strengthening exercises, orthotic and plenty of rest. Most important too is to wear good, supportive shoes with plenty of cushioning.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 38-year-old member asked:

How does one get rid of plantar fasciitis?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Newman
Podiatry 32 years experience
A few things: Make sure your shoes have good cushion and support and are not excessively worn. If so, replace them. You might want to try over-the-counter arch supports. Doing runners stretches consistently can be a big help. You can also try over-the-counter antiinflammatories. If not improved, see a podiatrist who can offer prescribed medicine, physical therapy, injections, foot orthoses. Surgery is rare.
A 32-year-old member asked:

I can't get rid of plantar fasciitis, who do I see about this?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gerard Kerbleski
Podiatry 33 years experience
Plantar fascitis: See a podiatrist. Plantar fasciitis is, a pull/sprain of the plantar fascia from where it attaches to the heel bone on the btm of the foot. Txs include rigid arch support to decrease the pull of the fascia, combined with antiinflammatory medication (oral and/or injectable) to reduce the inflammation. A partial release may be done surgically in chronic cases that dont respond.
A 36-year-old member asked:

If I cannot get rid of plantar fasciitis, who do I see about this?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. David Tobin
Podiatry 38 years experience
Podiatrist: Podiatrists have many options to relieve plantar fasciitis besides surgery

Related questions

A 36-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 28, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.