i was told today, after a scan, that the tiny tip of one side of my mirena (levonorgestrel) coil, looked like it had pierced my endomitrium. is this dangerous to me?

Dr. AARATHI Cholkeri-Singh
18 years experience Gynecology
Probably not: The Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud itself is placed within the endometrium so it is not unusual to see the tip of it in the endometrium what can be difficult is if the Mirena (levonorgestrel) is embedded in the muscle layer of the uterus, the myometrium. Then the iud was placed into the uterus too far and may be difficult to remove.
Answered on Mar 13, 2016
4