Miami, FL

what are the dangers of excessive imaging ordering?

Dr. Andrew Doe
Interventional Radiology 20 years experience
Depends: On which exams are ordered. Ordering a lot of x-rays, mammograms, and ct's would mean increased radiation. However, the benefits must be weighed against the risks and only then can you say what is really "excessive".
Dr. Meir Marmor
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
The golden rule: As a general rule one should only perform an imaging study if he has a specific question that the study can answer and if there is the potential to change the treatment plan based on the findings from the imaging study. If you can not answer with a definite yes to both questions then you should not perform the study. Otherwise, any risk taken (radiation, over diagnosis/treatment) is unwarranted.