Wyoming, MI

I was told today by my surgeon that i have a weakend spot in my abdomen wall where he was unable to bridge the mesh during my hernia surgery in july. will a hernia form at the weakend spot ?

Dr. Michael Dugan
Specializes in Hematology
Sounds like: The surgeon was worried enough about that possibility to inform you that mesh could not correct the entire defect at the time of your repair.
Dr. Andres Katz
Vascular Surgery 49 years experience
Most likely: There are new techniques to bridge the defect, depends on individual cases. Get a second opinion
Dr. Tracy Berg
General Surgery 32 years experience
Its possible: Recurrence risk or a new separate hernia developing depends on the size of your hernia before the repair in july, and the results you have achieved. Your surgeon knows best these details. Okay to ask your surgeon these questions, take a friend with you. Okay to request a ct scan, and to get a second opinion.
Dr. Joey Bluhm
General Surgery 17 years experience
Depends: A hernia is a defect in the facial layer of the abdominal wall. If the defect is there, then you have a hernia. If the fascia is weak, of course it is more prone to pulling apart than normal fascia. One of the concepts of hernia repair with mesh is that the mesh can bridge any gap in the fascia by selecting the right size mesh.

Last updated Mar 1, 2019