what is the definition or description of: fibrinogen levels low?

Dr. Viraj Lakdawala
Emergency Medicine 14 years experience
Multiple reasons.: There are multiple possible causes of low fibrinogen levels including: end-stage liver disease, severe malnutrition, congenital afibrinogenemia or hypofibrinogenemia, severe infections resulting in consumption of fibrinogen, medications that may impair hepatic synthetic function including valproic acid or l--asparaginase.
Dr. Michael Dugan
Specializes in Hematology
A low fibrinogen: Level is a risk factor for serious bleeding. This can occur on a congenital basis, but the much more common circumstance is acquired, for example following chemotherapy for acute leukemia. The level is augmented with cryoprecipitate -- a plasma derived product which is rich in fibrinogen.