is it recommended that i get braces for a tmj disorder?

Dr. R Thomas
Dr. R Thomas answered
Dentistry 32 years experience
TMJ and orthodontics: I believe you are referring to TMJ disfunction leading to discomfort and pain. I suggest you google neuromuscular denistry or neurofunctional orthodontics. The short answer though, is "yes". Orthodontics done in a particular fashion can aid you. However, in many cases, if not used to address your disorder, the braces can make it worse. Read up and find a neurofunctionally trained dentist.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
Depends: On what the source of the TMJ disorder is. If it is occlusal then possible. If it is form TMJ trauma, arthritis, joint growth disturbance then no. Diagnose the source first. Then treat.
Dr. Robert Didier
General Practice 50 years experience
When the pain's gone: Controversy abounds in dentistry as to the role of occlusion in TMJ disorders. The more conservative view recommends a very accurate diagnosis. Dysfunction of muscles, bones or nerves can trigger pain. Many types of arthritis, some which need medical management, can effect the jaws. Bite appliances, self management and medications are proven to help.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Not usually: Braces only for TMJ if a bad bite is causing or contributing to the problem. You may end up with straight teeth and the same or worse TMj problem. Get other opinions from TMJ experts before ortho treatment.