What is the relationship between a high arched palate and heart?

Dr. John Van der Werff
Dentistry 40 years experience
Maybe: The only thing I am aware of is that people with a high arch are more likely to have obstructive sleep apnea and sleep apnea can lead to heart disease.
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics 36 years experience
The "high arched palate" is due to the tongue resting low in the mouth during growth and development. The plate and airway fail to develop properly in the transverse dimension leading to restricted airway, the roof of the mouth is also the floor of the nose. Also due to the tongue resting low, it will drop back during sleeping and cause sleep apnea. We regularly treat this condition at ages 5-10yrs and eliminate many of the problems associated with sleep apnea. In older patients, A Leforte II osteotomy can open the airway substantially. This coupled with tongue training to create a high rest posture can be a good remedy for sleep apnea.
Dec 30, 2012
Dr. David Schleimer
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Chicken or the egg: A high vaulted palate is primarily dictated by genetic factors and can be exacerbated by thumb sucking for example. I think the genetically high vaulted palate causes the tongue to be positioned lower, not the other way around.
Dec 30, 2012
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Nothing: I have been a dentist for 33 years and have never heard about any connection. Your high arched palate is simply an anatomical condition.