Omaha, NE

4yr old son, positive strep culture today. now has rash in a few places on body. started antibiotics today. do i take him back in? high fever also!

Dr. Joseph Bouvier
See below: Rashes can be due to many factors and are oftentimes referred to as the result of abx when in fact they are more often due to viral illnesses. Abx take at least 48-72 hours to kick in and thus if being treated for a bacterial illness, time is needed and fevers can continue until the abx works. Rash in spots speaks viral to me but if generalized, who knows. See you doc - as seeing it is needed.
Strep rash??`: The rash of strep will usually appear about 12 hr into the first fever, after the germ has had time to set up & produce the chemicals that trigger the rash. Strep rash has a sandpaper texture & generally appears first around the genitals & folds of the arms before it spreads. Fever & rash are common & progress until the abx has had time to kill germs. I would call in, but you may just need time.

Last updated Jul 18, 2013