Houma, LA

during heart transplant surgery. how is blood flow kept to the brain since the heart has to be taken out?

Dr. Robert Binford
Thoracic Surgery 38 years experience
Heart lung machine: During heart transplant and in fact many types of heart surgery the patient is connected to cardiopulmonary bypass machine. . The blood is drained out from the large veins (vena cava) into the machine. Oxygen is put into the blood and it is returned into the artery system usually the aorta. So even with the heart stopped, the body and brain continue to receive blood and oxygen.
Dr. Oktavijan Minanov
Thoracic Surgery 29 years experience
Heart lung machine: During all open heart surgery the blood is taken from the patients vena cava and run through an artificial lung and returned to the aorta at systemic pressure.
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Thoracic Surgery 39 years experience
CP bypass: Good question. Cardiopulmonary bypass supplies oxygenated blood under pressure to all the organs connected to the aorta and its branches. Desaturated blood is drained by gravity from central venous system, oxygenated and then returned to the aorta or axillary artery or femoral artery or a combination of ax/fem arteries.This allows the body to stay alive while you fix or replace the heart.