how do i know if my period cramps are normal?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Variable.: Everyone's pain tolerance is different. Here are some questions i ask to see if the cramping is normal. Are you able to go to work or school when you have your period? Do over-the-counter pain medications like midol or Motrin help your pain when taken at the recommended doses? If you answer no to either then your period cramping may be excessive.
Severity: If cramping is so severe that it affects your ability to function and is excruciating - that would warrant gynecological assessment.