Canada

how do you clean a mouthguard?

Dr. Robert Ryan
Dentistry 50 years experience
Soaking it: These appliances tend to collect plaque and calculus (tartar) just as teeth do. So, clean them as you would your teeth. Use a toothbrush with plain water, toothpaste or a mouthwash. You can also soak them in a denture cleaning solution (polident or another one) to soften or remove calcified plaque (tartar). Add a couple of drops of clorox to control odors. Brush them after the soak.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
One more thing...: Dr. Ryan gave you an excellent and very thorough answer. I just want to add one thing, never use very hot water as this might distort the nightguard.
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Cosmetic Dentistry 33 years experience
Several options.: Scrub with a toothbrush (no toothpaste) or soak in a denture cleanser (polident/efferdent/store brand) and scrub with a toothbrush, scrub with a toothbrush and then soak in listerine. When scrubbing, it should be in cold or warm water, not hot.