Durham, NC

ate ahi tuna (sushi) often a few months before i got pregnant. can the mercury stay in your system and harm the baby?

Dr. Sathish Adigopula
/.: Ahi tuna is supposed to be high risk for mercury. Half life of mercury in body is about 2 months. That means if there were no further exposures to mercury the body would have gotten rid of about half of the mercury in body in about 2 months. Harm to fetus depends of the amount of mercury and the duration of exposure. Would suggest being off any form of sushi and even canned tuna until baby born.