is there any conclusive study to prove that sex education of school kids reduces the incidence of hiv-aids?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
25 years experience Infectious Disease
I don't believe so: Excellent question. While it seems intuitive that education can and will prevent disease..I do not think any data on this exists for HIV and school kids. Your also asking about 1 isolated (although serious) disease further complicating the question.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014
1
44 years experience Pathology
Soft science: Studies can be conclusive in chemistry and physics, but in any real-life system involving human beings, there are always confounding variables. Nobody is going to randomize children to two different groups and see whether one has more HIV cases ten years later. Kids who get sex-ed may be from smarter communities, be more able to afford condoms, whatever. Data informs public policy without proof.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014
2
2 comments
Dr. Robert Killian
28 years experience General Practice
Great answer Dr. Friedlander!
Mar 13, 2014
44 years experience Pathology
Provided original answer
Now please forgive me -- "sex ed" is basically a good thing, though both the Right and the Left will try to insert their own agendas. I'm confident you've educated your own children about what they need to know, but many of your neighbors don't. I'm old enough to remember when many teens didn't know the absolute basics, even about how pregnancy happens. I appreciate your asking. Best wishes.
Mar 13, 2014
Dr. Ana Adelstein
27 years experience Clinical Psychology
Customized Approach: According to the US Resource Center 4 HIV/Aids Prevention Among Adolescents, HIV diagnoses R up in young ppl ages 15-24 mostly b/c of high infection rates in minority & LGBT youth. Evidence supports importance of HIV prevention ed that is tailored to specific target teen populations - incl by race/ethnicity, by sex, by sex of partners, etc. They find that there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
Answered on Apr 1, 2016
1
Dr. Ana Adelstein
27 years experience Clinical Psychology
Provided original answer
See: https://preventyouthhiv.org
Dec 6, 2014