how can i prevent my children from getting allergies?

Dr. Adam Naddelman
Controversial: Unfortunately, there is no universal agreement on how to best prevent allergies in children. There are certain measures that can be taken if you have a strong family history of allergies, and these are best discussed with your pediatrician. Traditional measures of food avoidance may not be applicable to you and your baby.
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Breastfeed!: Breastfeeding is shown to be protective for children with a strong family history of allergies. If unable to breast feed, try a hypoallergenic formula such as "nutramigen" or "alimentum". Try to avoid introducing baby foods until 4-6 months of age; once you do, introduce them slowly. Interestingly, exposure to dogs & cats appears to reduce the risk of becoming allergic to those household pets!