NY

what can i do to limit the amount of hsv 1 (gential area) outbreaks i get?

Dr. David Finke
Suppression: Now hsv-1 and hsv-2 can both be the cause of cold sores and/or genital outbreaks. For a history of frequent outbreaks, your doctor may recommend daily suppressive therapy with Acyclovir or valcyclovir.
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology 19 years experience
Antivirals can help: Genital herpes is usually due to hsv2 and can have higher recurrence/re-activation rates. Remember the virus is dormant in nerve cells and can re-activate during times of stress. Suppressive antiviral therapy can be used in individuals with frequent and/or particularly symptomatic relapses. See your board certified dermatologist to be evaluated.