why do i feel so ashamed of my history of rape? i know it wasn't my fault, i was in kindergarten. but 10 years have passed and i'm so ashamed of it.

4 doctor answers
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Assault: Unfortunately the victim in rape is the one left with residual feelings of shame. I think it is important to seek counsil to resolve this.
Answered on May 11, 2016
1
Dr. Marion Dunn
42 years experience Psychiatry
My Dear Child listen: Knowledge of the rape causes great depression, anxiety and shame even though you were not at fault. Allow yourself to "let it alone" and go about your life as if it never happened. Your goal might be t o be all you can be and wehen that person comes back arond he willbe ashamed because he harmed you and wonders if you told anyone. Stay away from him and keep a strong look and future.You'll make it.
Answered on Oct 24, 2017
3
Dr. Seth Kunen
44 years experience Clinical Psychology
Sorry 4 your pain: You say that you understand that it was not your fault, but you still feel ashamed. It is likely that you understand at an intellectual but not at an emotional level. This is not uncommon. If you are interested, i would recommend therapy with a psychodynamically or psychoanalytically trained therapist. It is likely that you will gain significant insight into why you still feel shame. Good luck!
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
2
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Rape and shame: I am sorry that this happened to you, and at such a very young age. Shame is a very common reaction, even when you know you weren't at fault. The intensity of pain and progress in healing depend greatly on how your family and important others treated you after the trauma. Were help and love provided to you? Working with a therapist skilled in emdr may help you process & release this pain now.
Answered on May 11, 2016
1