My son has cough variant asthma when he gets a cold, it usually progresses. otherwise he does well once it starts, he takes albuterol (wit flovent). ?

Dr. Mark Diamond
Good Stuff: This is good if it works to keep him healthy.Remeber that Flovent is more preventative in nature and if used properly is to prevent flareups.
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 33 years experience
Very common: Cough is a very common sign of asthma and colds (viral infection) are the most common trigger for kids under 2 yr. To prevent progression, I have found starting/increasing the Flovent early in the cold may prevent progression. This should be outlined on the written asthma action plan. Consider using a peak flow meter to monitor and use albuterol for symptom relief. Hope to avoid prednisone.

Last updated Jun 25, 2014