i am 49 and found out my sed rate is 39. i have joint pain and swelling. i also have small fiber neuropathy. is this something to worry about?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Ronald Krauser
51 years experience Rheumatology
Yes and no: The sed rate can measure the degree of inflammation. If your joints are painful and swollen the sed rate may be secondary to an inflammatory arthritis. The neuropathy would not cause the elevation. I would suggest that you see your doctor to have the arthritis evaluated.
Answered on Dec 4, 2012
1
Dr. Eran Kessous
21 years experience Sports Medicine
See a Doctor: Joint pain and swelling is something that you should check with your doctor esp when the ESR is elevated as well. There are many details I do not know here -- which joint is one example... See your doctor or a rheumatologist.
Answered on May 18, 2016
4
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
34 years experience Hand Surgery
ESR: Sed rate is a non specific marker but is a marker for inflammation, it is one of the criteria followed among others to gauge efficacy of treatment, it is a good idea to have this discussion with your treating health care provider.
Answered on Dec 4, 2012
1