I'm 27 years old and i have oral lichen planus. what is the risk that its will beacome a cancer someday in my life? the lifetime risk not the annually

Dr. Scott Frank
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 34 years experience
Unlikely: Lichen planus is generally very low risk of cancer. There are several forms of lichen planus, however. Erosive lichen planus is a reddish version which does have a higher risk. Have your oral surgeon determine a definitive diagnoisis and follow you closely if you are at risk.
Dr. John Ebner
Dermatology 18 years experience
Low, but be vigilant: Oral lichen planus will rarely ever evolve into cancer (squamous cell carcinoma). However, it is possible, especially when someone has poorly controlled disease that is chronically active with ulcers and erosions. This is why it is important to find a dermatologists that knows this problem and can help you. Good luck.

Last updated Mar 17, 2017