how can i handle the social consequences of a breast reduction?

Dr. Charles Garramone
Plastic Surgery 23 years experience
Consequences?: What social consequences? I assume the reason you are having a breast reduction would be to relieve back and neck pain, fit more comfortably in clothes, or maybe you are self conscious about having larger breasts. Whatever the reason for having this type of surgery must be a personal decision. Who cares what other people think, it is your body and you deserve to feel comfortable.
Dr. Kirk Churukian
Plastic Surgery 35 years experience
By Celebrating!: You will look slimmer and better in your clohes! you will feel better with relief of neck and/or back pain! you will be able to more easily exercise, thereby losing more weight, looking and feeling even better! so simply smile demurely, be gracious when complimented, and live well!
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery 37 years experience
If you are concerned: About anyone out anyone other than family you should question what value that relationship has. Inappropriate behavior is to be dealt with the usual ways.
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Plastic Surgery 19 years experience
Diplomatically: Breast reduction surgery is almost always done for medical reasons. All medical problems carry their own social stigmata. You should simply inform your friend and family that the size of your breasts is causing you health problems, and you will feel better after surgery.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
On the upside: The social consequences depend on you. They may be all good if you gain improved self confidence and are able to walk without pain or discomfort. I commonly observe hunched over patients who can now walk upright with their shoulders back exhibiting improved posture. Patients are often less inhibited about concealing their chest and clothing restrictions and often undertake new exercise activities.
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Plastic Surgery 42 years experience
Most of my patients are surprised to find that others don't comment on the breast reduction, they say, "Oh, you lost weight!" A small, perky breast sometimes doesn't look any smaller!
Mar 19, 2012
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
No Problem.: Generally speaking, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations plastic surgeons perform. There are no specific “social consequences” that I am aware of. People who care about you will likely be very happy that you will likely experience improvement/relief from symptoms caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Best wishes.