do only premature babies have undescended testicles?

No: Term babies can have an undescended testicle. There is usually something wrong in the undescended testicle, related to why it did not descend. It may be smaller, and only partly functional. It also has a higher chance of cancer. However, preemies with undescended testicles probably have normal testicles but are just born before testicles are supposed to go into the scrotum in the 7th-8th months.
Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Pediatric Surgery 28 years experience
No: Undescended testis can be seen in full term children. The crucial part of the exam is whether it is retractile or truly undescended. Current recommendations are to repair undescended testis by the 1st year.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
No: Approximately 3% of full-term baby boys have undesended testis at birth. 50 - 65% of these testes descend sponateously over the next 6 months. Up to 30% of premaure baies have undescended testes at birth and again most of these descend spontaneously during their first year. However, overall udts are more common in ex-preemies. Also more common inboys concieved by ivf.