are there any key differences between appendicitis and a stomach pain in a child?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 34 years experience
Apples/oranges: Appendicitis is one of many causes of abdominal ("stomach") pain. It is an acute emergency, which, if not treated within a day or two of onset, can lead to serious problems. Appendicitis is not a chronic cause of pain; it does not come-and-go. Often, appendicitis can start as a typical 'stomach ache', but, within 24 hrs. Typically progresses to severe, localized right lower abdominal pain.
Dr. Troy Reyna
Pediatric Surgery 44 years experience
Yes: Pain from appendicitis can be initially central or periumbilical. The it moves down to the right lower quadrant. It can be associated with nausea and vomiting that fails to improve after 24 hours like most flus. In children there be loss of appetite. In small children who are walking and then refuse to walk and want to be carried, beware and think of appendicitis.