as lowering the sugar i take metformin 500mg

Dr. Robert Andrews
Interventional Radiology 36 years experience
I : I wish i could help, but your question is not complete. Metformin is an oral agent used to control blood sugar in patients whose sugar balance is disturbed but who do not need insulin.
Dr. Daniel Weiss
Endocrinology 46 years experience
Yes : Yes metformin will lower your sugar. The maximum dose used is 2000 milligrams. It is best taken with food to reduce the chance of diarrhea. The slow release preparation (called xr) tends to cause less diarrhea, in general. We usually increase the amount over time to 2 pills twice a day if needed to control the blood sugar. Discuss this with your doctor and provide him your blood glucose record at your visit.