why does my back still hurt even with the rods? rods are in most of my back after a car crash. spine was damaged, but not severed. i am on gabapentin, oxycodone, percoset plus otherss for anxiety and sleep. i still have pain, why do you think?

Dr. Herbert Krob
Neurology 29 years experience
In : In most cases spinal surgery is performed to stabilize the spine and to reduce the risk of damage to the spinal cord and the spinal nerve roots. Damage to these structures could cause serious problems such as paralysis of a limb or limbs, inability to control the bowel or the bladder, and inability to walk. Spinal surgery is usually not performed to control pain. Spinal surgery can involve cutting into and/or manipulating skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscles, ligaments and bones. All of these structures are able to generate pain, either in response to the original injury or in response to the surgery. Surgery could be considered an intentional injury done to reduce the chance of a worse injury.
Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Anesthesiology 40 years experience
Pain after back surg: The answer is complex. I do not know your situation. Frequently, after surgery it is developed a reparation tissue that become overgrown within the boundaries of the nerves roots coming out of the spinal cord. It irritates those nerves. You need new imaging, adhesiolysis, spinal stimulator or another surgery.
Dr. Nathaniel Drourr
Pain Management 29 years experience
Failed back Syndrome: Unfortunately there is a condition called failed back syndrome - this a condition of chronic pain after having back surgery. I don't mean to depress you but there are a certain percentage of patients that do have chronic pain after surgery. There are however good medications/procedures avail now and certainly always new ones coming out. Hope this helps.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016