What are the risks of a bone biopsy? i have a weakened immune system and am concerned about the risk of getting an infection during my bone biopsy. what are the risks?

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
With : With any surgical procedure there is the risk of damage to adjacent structures (nerves, blood vessels, internal organs) , bleeding and infection. Your statement that you have a weakened immune system is a clue to why the bone biopsy is being done, since some of the blood cells that are responsible for mounting an immune response start life in the bone marrow. I am sure your doctors have weighed the risk vs. Benefits in recommending this procedure and will take the necessary precautions to prevent an infection.

Last updated Jan 9, 2019