Is there an over-the-counter or home remedy for a swollen, itchy eye lid? my left eye is swollen and has been for a week. it itches too. well, my eye lid is itchy not my eye itself. there isn't a knot or anything like that. my eye itself isn't red or

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 46 years experience
This : This is not time for a home remedy, you have already waited too long to get the situation evaluated by your physician. I suggest contacting your physician immediately for an evaluation. You run the ultimate risk of losing eyesight in that eye.
Dr. Richard Arden
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
I : I agree with dr. Funari, this needs to be seen now. Potentially, you could have pre-septal cellulitis that can evolve into orbital cellulitis or subperiosteal/orbital abscess ( a far more serious condition, that if left untreated, can compromise vision). This doesn't sound like a chalazion or blepharitis; take it seriously.
Dr. James Ridgway
Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery
I : I agree with both of the physicians. This sounds like it could be blepharitis or more advanced cellulitis. Regardless, you need to see a specialist. Be healthy and be well, james m. Ridgway, md.
Dr. Robert Strimling
Dermatology 32 years experience
I : I think you need to see a board certified ophthalmologist for accurate diagnosis and treatment. Get well soon.

Last updated Apr 16, 2020