recently while playing baseball, i tripped going after a fly ball and chipped my tooth. in tripping, my mouth landed open in the dirt and my front left tooth hit some dirt and maybe a rock. a portion of the tooth came out. i still have that part of the to

4 doctor answers
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
48 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Hard : Hard to tell. I have bonded pieces of tooth back but this is not always appropriate. Depending on how much tooth is broken you may need anything from a simple bonding to a veneer or crown. Need to see it to know for sure.
Answered on Dec 3, 2018
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Like : Like an iceberg the most serious concerns about you falling and chipping your tooth are below the surface. It is difficult to give an concise answer to your concern about fixing the broken tooth. If it is a small chip it may only need to be smoothed. Larger fractures will be treated by bonding or, in the worst case scenario, a veneer or crown. Of more long term concern is to determine whether there was a fracture of the root or surrounding bone and whether the nerve in the tooth has been irreversibly injured. A good clinical examination by your dentist will be able to answer these question as they have a long term consequence for the health of the tooth.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Jerry Gordon
Specializes in Dentistry
It : It is unlikely that the piece of chipped tooth can be used. Still, good thinking. If the entire tooth including the root came out, it can be put back in some cases. Your dentist will x-ray the area to determine the extent of the damage. The tooth may require a filling, crown, or veneer to repair it. If the tooth becomes sensitive, it may requie root canal. Although unlikely, if the root is fractured, the tooth may need to be removed.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
Sometimes : Sometimes the "fix" is simple and quick, perhaps as you describe. However, sometimes the trauma is too much and the solution is not simple or quick. It may be simply bonding the tooth piece back, or it may require root canal therapy, post/core and crown. In extreme cases, it may be that extraction and bridge or implant needs to be done as well. Your dentist should be able to tell what method of treatment is most appropriate for you.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016