will most pediatric dentists allow parents in the room during a dental exam? we're shopping around to find a dentist for our six month old, and some pediatric dentists don't seem to want parents in the room while the exam is being performed, and some don'

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
This : This varies from doc to doc and child to child. Some children behave better and feel more secure with a parent in the room, and some just become downright clingy and manipulative-. That usually determines whether it's a good idea to stay in the room or not. If you have a doc that has a steadfast rule keeping you out of the room no matter what and you are not comfortable with this choose someone else. But please be realistic and make the right choice-often times you think your presence is helping and in effect it becomes the primary problem.
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Dr. : Dr. Scharf is correct. The pediatric dentist is a trained specialist in the management of children and they will know what will work best for the child. Parents can sometimes be of assistance, other times they are a distraction for the child and may hinder the process.
Dr. Shawn Colbert
I : I agree with the above post. Most pediatric dentist will always have you there for your six month old but as the children become older and you trust your dentist you will then want to give them more freedom. There are plenty of pediatric dentist that will allow all parents back for theexam and dental work. Shop around and I am sure that you will find the right dentist. I feel that for the younger patients and if it is your first time at a dental office you want to see what these people are all about. Usually when the children hit 6 years old and for an exam or cleaning most parents want to wait in the waiting room or the child wants to come back themselves. For special needs patients i always have the parent or guardian present. Everybody as you are finding has different policies.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
For good reason: You can't shield your child from life. You can just provide the best possible environment. Sometimes it's best for a parent to be in the room, especially up to age 2. Sometimes it's better for the dentist and the child to interact without parent present raising anxiety levels. For example, would school want you in the classroom with your child? Make the decision with the pedodontist.