does this sound like cracked tooth syndrome? when i bite or chew hard things, it hurts in the left rear of my mouth and my dentist couldn't find anything on the x-ray. he said there was no cavity, and i can't figure out any other reason it would hurt.

3 doctor answers
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
45 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
This : This could indicate a cracked tooth, especially if it had a root canal. Unfortunately this is one of the hardest problems to diagnose. I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist. A new technology called cbt (cone beam x-ray) is showing some promise in finding cracked teeth. You may just have to let the situation declare itself more before acting with insufficient evidence of what is truly wrong as it may lead to unnecessary treatment.
Answered on Jun 10, 2020
1
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Ron E. Bell commented
45 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
The pain can be localized by an instrument-tool called a 'tooth-sleuth' . I have been using it for over 20 years to diagnose cracked teeth !!
Mar 13, 2013
Dr. Bruce Terry
Specializes in Endodontics
"Cracked : "cracked teeth" are often hard to detect. Some of the clues that we can use when xrays are normal include: 1. No prior restoration (filling) with pain to biting can suggest a crack/fracture. 2. Use of a tooth sleuth or bite stick to test different corners of the tooth could detect a weak point. 3. A cbct (cone beam ct) can help visualize a fracture 4. Pulp testing can determine if a particular tooth is more sensitive to thermal stimuli than other teeth.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
1
Dr. Patricia Mcgarry
36 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
I you have a large silver filling in that tooth definitely check the tooth with a tooth sleuth
Oct 18, 2013
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
Cracked : Cracked teeth are a challenge to diagnose. An endodontist is a good place to start, as they see this routinely. A tooth sleuth helps or a bite adjustment, and if so it likely will need a crown and maybe even a root canal....
Answered on Oct 4, 2016