my 5 year old bit a hard popsicle and tooth became loose and now it has a discolor look to it. should i pulled it or leave it? she is 5 so i hope it doesn't cause damage to the root fir the permant one.

4 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Very : Very hard to diagnose your question over the internet. Lower front tooth? Upper front tooth? Don't worry, it probably did not cause any damage to her permanent tooth. If it turned dark, then the nerve in the tooth may have died, meaning that it needs to be evaluated by a dentist. Have it looked at and evaluated for extraction.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
It : It may be that the tooth is ready to fall out (exfoliated) as part of a natural process. The darkness you may see is the color of the underlying tissue as the root has reabsorbed. It may also be an indication the the nerve in the tooth has been injured, though unlikely. The best course of action is for your son to be evaluated by his pediatric dentist. If the tooth was damaged it may be advisable to have it removed to prevent damage to his permanent tooth.
Answered on Feb 10, 2019
Dr. Shawn Colbert
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
I : I agree with dr. Funari's post. More than likely this tooth was close to exfoliation (coming out). Certainly i see children loosing teeth at five in the lower front but without an x-ray hard to diagnose. I would follow up with your dentist and have an occlusal film taken if needed to rule that the whole tooth is loose or if a fracture of the root occurred. The x-ray will show the permanent teeth underneath and how close to erupting. It is common for primary teeth to turn dark 2-3 weeks after trauma because the blood vessel and nerve going into the tooth can be damaged. Hope this helps.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Loose baby tooth: At age 5, assuming it's a lower front tooth, it's probably starting to fall out. This is normal. The root of the bab6 tooth, which is 3 times longer than the crown, dissolves away and the crown falls out. To be sure, see your child's General Dentistor Pediatric Dentist. Once 1st permanent tooth erupts, but no later than Age 7, see an Orthodontic Specialist for (usually free) Initial Examination.
Answered on Feb 10, 2019