Can carpel tunnel be caused from an mva i was involved in an mva and my vehicle was totaled. my hands began going numb and tingling. i was referred to a neurologist for a nerve conduction test. i have severe carpel tunnel in my right hand and moderate

Hello. : Hello. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by trauma. However, the neurologist likely made his or her determination after reviewing your nerve conduction test, obtaining a medical history and examining you. The information gleened from this may have suggested that the bilateral carpal tunnel syndromes were not related to a motor vehicle accident or perhaps it was inconclusive.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
A : A lot depends upon the time frame, the extent of your chronic changes as evident in the nerve study showing severe and moderate findings and your acute issues i.e. What happened that day. Acute carpal tunnel directly from an mva is typically a very severe sudden event associated with severe wrist trauma, fracture or dislocation not something that typically comes on later on. Causality is always a tough issue as there are medical, legal, financial and insurance issues that overlie treatment. What is found on 'many websites" is not necessarily science based nor relevant to your unique situation.
Dr. Jerry Huang
Hand Surgery 21 years experience
Acute : Acute carpal tunnel can occur after trauma with increased swelling in your wrists with compression of the median nerve. However, this is unusual without significant trauma (broken wrist or dislocation). You may have had pre-existing carpal tunnel syndrome that was exacerbated by the swelling in your wrists from your car accident.
Dr. Robert Gluck
Hand Surgery 40 years experience
Just : Just to add to the two excellent previous answers: abnormal pressure on the nerve from whatever cause and of course trauma to the nerve will cause symptoms of "carpal tunnel".

Last updated Jan 1, 2021