is it possible for a doctor to tell how long you have had herpes i was asking because i have been in a relationship for a long time and recently found out i had herpes and if its possible that my boyfriend is lying and has cheated on me

2 doctor answers
Dr. Joy Jackson
Unfortunately : Unfortunately there is no way to know when you contracted herpes. It is possible to contract the virus and never have an outbreak in your lifetime, have one years later or.Have one soon after. The only thing you can rely on here is your instinct, and the trust you have with your boyfriend. All the best.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
44 years experience Pathology
Don't be so sure: If you "just found out"... did you perhaps have a positive test for herpes 2 (almost everybody has herpes 1) antibodies, but have never had symptoms on yourself? The test is far from 100% accurate. If you've never had an outbreak, perhaps you're a false positive.
Answered on Dec 2, 2014