how long before a night guard for bruxism can reduce jaw pain? my dentist had a night guard made for me to stop my bruxism and jaw pain a week ago, but i still have jaw pain when i wake up in the morning. how long does it take for the pain to go away?

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Depending : Depending on the cause of the pain - joint or muscle - i tell patients that we typically will see positive results sometime in the first four weeks though it may take others longer. Some individuals may see quicker results. It is important to follow all the instructions regarding diet, exercises, non-steroidal inflammatory agents, and heat/cold that typically are used in combination with a splint to reduce or eliminate symptoms. The splint alone is not a singular curative agent.
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dentistry 39 years experience
Should be better: My patients typically see improvements within 24 hours. If they don't i start thinking about changing the appliance, is my patient really bruxing, and other alternatives. I am assuming you have the correct design because only 2 out of over 100 designs reduce clenching and the others have no effect or increase bruxing.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Quick results: The design of the night guard is important to getting good results. It should be hard acrylic fabricated to relieve the stress on your muscles and jaw joint. They do need to be adjusted as you wear it. All night guards are not equal. Hopefully your dentist is well trained and knowledgable in this area. Consider a second opinion. If you don't find relief.