i hear swishing sound on my right ear especially when i lay down i can hear my heart beating when i hear the swishing sound on my ears.

Dr. Michael Wolfe
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 23 years experience
Is : Is this new or has it been around for a long time? Hearing your heart beat in your ear can be normal--the carotid artery and the jugular vein are directly next to the ear and the pulsations can transmit to the hearing aparatus of the ear. Other things that can cause it are inflammation in the ear (very common), high blood pressure (common), atherosclerosis in the carotid artery (common), high venous pressure, high intracranial pressures (too much cerebrospinal fluid)(rare), vascular tumors in the ear (rare). Basically, it can sometimes be a variant of normal, or it can be a symptom of inflammation or vascular problems. I see it fairly often in my clinic and very rarely is it anything that is concerning, but it should be seen if it persists or is accompanied by other symptoms.