I was told i need 16 teeth removed and have massive infection. I use numbing agents daily and want to know effects & infection. No dental care for over 20 years. Insurance is medicaid with horizon that does not cover dental. Told i need oral surgery asap

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience in Dentistry
You : You should heed your dentist's advice and take his concern seriously. If you need 16 extractions you have severely neglected your oral health. You most probably have advanced periodontitis (gum disease) and well as very broken down teeth. Medicaid, or any insurance for that matter, was never written or designed to cover the expenses of restoring your mouth after 20 years of neglect. Yes, the infections can spread to other parts of your body, taxing your immune system and putting stress on your body as a whole. If it gets under your tongue and swells your tongue up, it can block your airway and make breathing difficult or impossible. Please get yourself treated immediately to remove the teeth that are hopeless and then decide what to do with the ones that can be salvaged. Best of luck to you.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016