at what age is adhd usually diagnosed? my son is four and shows a lot of the symptoms of adhd. when can doctors diagnose adhd in children?

2 doctor answers
24 years experience Psychiatry
Hello. : Hello. It is usually diagnosed between age 4 to 18 years old. Although some people are not diagnosed until adulthood.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Stephen Guffanti
44 years experience Occupational Medicine
ADHD drugs for 7+: Many doctors will drug a four year old, but the makers of the adhd drugs state it is not safe under 7. If you send your son to school they will probably ask you to drug him as they get $1000+ per drugged child. If you do that you can be assured that the teachers will do what they can to keep the child on drugs until after high school at which point you will have lost any real solutions.
Answered on Aug 28, 2016
1
45 years experience Pediatrics
I understand and share some of the criticism of the schools.However, it is unethical for a doctor to prescribe unnecessary medications to a child by parental or school request. If s/he can document some benefit and monitors the kid properly, this is a valuable tool for the school age child.I never consider it before school age, although some psychiatrists are well trained enough to identify the fe
Aug 28, 2016