Millersville, PA

what is causing my constant wrist pain? i chipped my ulna about 4 years ago less then an inch from my wrist. i keep having pain, swelling, and something feels like its not in place. i feel the need to keep cracking it to put whatever it is back in place.

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Certainly : Certainly id start to think about the non-boney things that make up your wrist such as ligaments, tendons, cartilage. The chip may be a sign of injury that may not be seen on regualr xray. Instability of the ulna, the bone that ends at your wrsit on the little finger side, can be associated with pain and swellikng as well as a host of thinkgs on that side of the wrist on the thumb or radial side, there is the scaphoid, the lunate, the midcarpal joint, the trapezium, and the scapholunate ligament that can show signs of injury beyond the initial xray appearance so it may make sense to get evaluated by a hand surgeon.
Dr. Barry Callahan
Hand Surgery 31 years experience
Instability: I'm concerned your problem is instability of your druj (distal radio ulnar joint). I urge you to get this evaluated before the cartilage of this critical joint sustains irreparable damage. Good luck!

Last updated Feb 10, 2017