the teeth on my right side pain a lot and i can't chew from that side. i went to the dentist in august 2011 and the dentist found a crack in a tooth on the upper jaw which he filled. it seemed alright for a while but it started to hurt again. what should

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
You : You mentioned you have pain. Pain on biting down, pain all the time regardless, or pain with hot & especially cold? This problematic tooth may have a fracture which is not showing up on a radiograph. If the nerve in the tooth went bad, then you may have a sinus infection. The key to solving your problem is first to determine id the nerve in the tooth died. This can be done with a vitality test. If the nerve has died, then the tooth needs a root canal. If the nerve in the tooth is still alive, then it needs to be determined if there is a crack and how deep it is. Since you have gone to two generalists and still have a problem, i suggest you see an endodontist (root canal specialist) who will make the determination after an exam as to the proper course of treatment. Hope this info helps.
Dr. Michael Wollock
Dentistry 29 years experience
Pittsburg, Clearly : Pittsburg, clearly there is something wrong. Sinus issues can cause some a feeling of pressure, even soreness upon chewing on the upper molars. But this tends not to be described as "pain". I would advise seeing a dentist who has some time to diagnose your issue. With a proper diagnosis, treatment options and all their respective positives and negatives can be reviewed. In this way, you will be in a position to make the best choice for you. Hope this is helpful, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow dentistry at suburban square 610-649-0313.
Dr. Steven Hart
Cosmetic Dentistry 45 years experience
Some : Some dental diagnoses are tricky, which is to say that if a problem is developing sometimes it takes some time for the pain to localize to the tooth that is the culprit. Appropriate dental xrays and a comprehensive exam can often rule out certain issues. The pain can be tooth, gum, sinus or bite related. The most subtle and difficult problems to detect often are hidden cracks within the teeth. Try to provide the dentist with as much history and information in order to allow him/her to come to an accurate diagnosis. Let him/her know the pattern of the pain, the intensity and duration of the pain, whether it is initiated by temperature, whether it awakens you at night, whether it is only brought on by chewing compressive foods, etc. More info is better. Best of luck.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
First : First of all I am sorry to hear of your plight. The dentist who put the filling in for you explained that the tooth was fractured. Fractured teeth inevitably need additional work in the future, and probably crowning. Left for too long the fracture can extend into the root structure, cross the nerve and require extensive additional therapy. An x-ray is not going to disclosed the presence of a fracture unless it extremely severe, but a bite test might. It seems to me as if you have been doing the bite test and know already that there is in fact something wrong with your tooth. Classically a fracture show with pain on biting, and then a spike of pain when you release the pressure. Is the pain in the upper jaw, or the lower? It is possible that you might have a sinus complication. I strongly suggest you be evaluated for both by someone who knows how to diagnose both conditions. Good luck dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.