compound fractures both tibia and fibula in the upper part of my leg. what should be the amount pressure of walking on it. it happen three months ago. can i walk in a pool or swim. also my doc told me a month after it happen i could ride an exercise bike.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Howard Fox
42 years experience Podiatry
High : High fibular and tibial fractures are notoriously unstable. I assume you have some internal fixation holding things in place. If so, one of the screws used to stabilize your ankle is specifically not designed for any weight bearing. Please check with your surgeon before putting any pressure on the leg.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. Steven Sheskier
39 years experience Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery
Depends on xray: How much weight you can put on it depends on the amount of healing present on the latest x-ray. Usually progress from non weight bearing to touch down weight bearing to full weight bearing. All of the above as tolerated . Pain is your guide in addition to your doctor.
Answered on Mar 17, 2013