U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

pediatrics: when should a parent get their child tested for oppositional defiant disorder (odd)? my 4 year old has been acting provocative and oppositional to adults which is beyond our control. the child frequently tantrums, constantly questions rules an

5 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robin Ifft
Pediatrics 43 years experience
Your's : Your's child's behavior is obviously disrupting his life as well as yours. It sounds like you have tried some behvior modification techniques and haven't been successful. The first place to start is with your pediatrician to help guide you to resources in your area for child psychologists or developmental/ behavioral pediatric specialists. These specialist can help determine if this is a simple behavioral problem that can be managed with behavioral techniques or if there he has a disorder such as odd, adhd. It sounds like it's time to ask for help.
Dr. Todd Zimmerman
Pediatric Emergency Medicine 26 years experience
Tantrum or worrisome: It is common for 4 year olds to have tantrums. Some tantrums will be worse than others. It would be a stretch and actually quite difficult to classify a 4 yr old as being od. I would say to utilize some patience while watching your child closely and setting clear boundries and limits as to acceptable and non acceptable behaviors. But again keep in mind...He/she is only 4 years old.
Dr. Andres R Villar
Pediatrics 40 years experience
Better question is..: What should the parent be doing? What are the triggering factors? How long has the behavior been going on? Why? When? Where? A behavior therapist could be of greatr help identifying and helping correct inconsistent parenting behavior and atypical , defiant child response.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Yes, evaluations by : A developmental/behavioral pediatrician ; a child psychologist will clarify if your child has a neurodevelopmental disorder or is just a strong-willed 4-year-old. Your school district's child find team can assess for eligibility for early childhood special education. If not, try a structured pre-school. Join a parent behavioral management training class to learn effective discipline techniques.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Provided original answer
"Little People" by Dr. Ed Christopherson (on Amazon) is still one of the best books for teaching how to "Catch'em being good" & how to use time-out effectively. Walk your child into time-out from behind, without talking or making eye contact. Repeat as many times as child leaves time out +1. The behavior will get worse before it goes away, but it will go away if you consistently ignore it.
Apr 1, 2014
Dr. Nayyara Dawood
Pediatrics 30 years experience
Behavior: If it has been problematic it is wise to consult with a child Psychologist to see if any intervention is needed.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 49-year-old member asked:

Will the hepatitis b vaccine raise my child's risk of sids?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Pappas
Pediatrics 23 years experience
No: That is not true. In fact, since the institution of the hep b vaccination, the incidence of sids has actually decreased. In the early 90's, there was a concern because sids occurs in the first few months of life, and the first hep b shots are given in the first couple of months as well. So, the assumption was that they were related, but that is simply not the case.
A member asked:

Can my child get vaccines if she has an egg allergy?

6 doctor answers22 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Pediatrics 35 years experience
Yes: Only mmr, chickenpox, and flu vaccines have any egg in them at all, and the amount is so tiny that even in highly egg allergic children, serious reactions are extremely rare.
A 24-year-old member asked:

Is it safe to get the hepatitis b vaccine while pregnant or as a small child?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Scott Katz
Pediatrics 26 years experience
Yes, and recommended: If you have not been vaccinated, it is strongly recommended, and all children should receive the vaccine. If you are not vaccinated, and are exposed to the infection, you can develop liver disease and/or cancer.
A 21-year-old member asked:

My child has had strep. Throat before, and he has tics and/or ocd. Does that mean he has pandas?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Pediatrics 50 years experience
Not enough: Panda's requires periodic flare-ups of tics/ocd associated with recent infection and elevated antistreptocccocal antibodies - aso and antidnase - that elevated when the symptoms flare. Your doctor is the only one who can diagnose panda's.
A 27-year-old female asked:

I am 27 years old. Recently became overweight. I got a blood test done showing I have a tryglceride level of 209 and total cholesterol level of 267. I am afraid because my father has diabetes and mother has lupus. My glucose was 83, in range. I also have

2 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Nelson
Family Medicine 33 years experience
Get moving!: Didn't get the whole question. You are at a great age to stop future problems. Being over weight and having a family history of diabetes definitely puts you at risk. Start getting into an exercise program and cut back on fried and fatty food. That should help get things back to normal.
Dr. Samuel Sadow
Bariatrics 48 years experience
Start following a Mediterranean Diet, cut out sweets and snacks, have your doctor to put you into a good weight loss program to help you to lose all your fat and keep it off. Do at least 300 minutes per week of physical activity including muscle strengthening. Drink 10 glasses of water per day and get 8 hours of sleep. Eat a good protein breakfast and eat some protein with each meal. Don't skip meals.
Aug 16, 2012

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Apr 9, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.