can i possibly get a new porcelain veneer that chipped replaced for free? i had porcelain veneers put on just three weeks ago, and while eating dinner yesterday i heard a small crunch noise and felt a chip of the veneer in my mouth. i suppose some of them

Dr. Zev Kaufman
Cosmetic Dentistry 27 years experience
Since : Since the veneer was just recently placed, it is likely that your dentist will replace it for you. However no one can answer this question for you for you but your dentist. Best of luck, dr. Zev kaufman.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Drs : Drs zweig and kaufman are specialists in the field of prosthodontics and have given you excellent advice. The question is why did it break? Where did it break? At the gumline or on the incisal (biting) edge? Each means something different. Did you bite something hard, or were you eating pasta? Porcelain can break and chip. The question is why did yours break when that is answered, the second veneer can be made to take that into consideration. Speak to your dentist and i'm sure you will work something out. But be honest in how it happened.
Dr. Steven Hart
Cosmetic Dentistry 45 years experience
Dentists : Dentists hate failure! it might be their genetic make up or part of their education and training. Yet every dentist has experienced failure and should make every effort to address the cause of the failure and attempt to correct it. I agree with the other respondents that unless you were doing something you shouldn't have been doing such as opening a bottle or stripping a wire with your front teeth (or infinite other detrimental possibilities), the veneer should be durable enough for normal function. Be honest with the dentist and non-confrontational and he or she will likely do the right thing. I wish you the best.
Dr. Leonard Tau
Specializes in Dentistry
Sorry : Sorry you are having problems with veneers that were just recently placed. I can only speak for myself and not your dentist but if i placed a veneer and only 3 weeks later it chipped i would definitely replace it unless you were doing something you were not supposed to do like biting into a pen, etc. If you were not your dentist needs to figure out why it chipped. Good luck.
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry 45 years experience
I : I would replace a veneer of mine that broke after only three weeks. I think you need to be honest with your dentist and tell him or her if you abused it. I stand behind my work. There are no guarantees, but i will do what is fair. I would certainly be upset if a veneer i made only lasted three weeks.
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Cosmetic Dentistry 35 years experience
That is unfortunate: I would discuss this with your dentist. I cannot say the dentist is totally free of fault. Perhaps the veneer did not allow as much freedom of movement as your mouth requires. The inherent strength of the veneer is not the responsibility of the dentist. I would recommend wearing a night guard if you are not already. This would minimize the initiation of cracks which may lead to breakage.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Ask Dentist: Ask your Dentist who placed them.

Last updated Nov 27, 2017