is there a surgery that can fix my broken thumb? 15 years ago i jammed my thumb straight on and dislocated the first joint down from thumbnail. i finally got x-ray done the other day. my dr. said he saw a break in the bone and referred me to hand speciali

2 doctor answers
Dr. Brett Weinzapfel
30 years experience Orthopedic Spine Surgery
Sounds : Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep you appointment with the hand specialist.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
35 years experience Hand Surgery
If : If the injury is 15 years old and the joint is destroyed and is painful such that the pain is an issue affecting your use of the thumb then the hand surgeon may discuss arthrodesis or fusion of the joint with you. There are other factors such as your usable motion right now, the adjacent joints and what is going on with them in terms of motion and or pain as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure vs your stated dysfunction with the thumb.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016