27 year old athlete with sciatica? i'm a 27 year old athlete that has been dealing with some hamstring pain and what i believe might be sciatica for a few months. after some rest and physical therapy the hamstring has felt better, although it still hurts

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
Sciatica : Sciatica is a possibility, though it can be mimicked by hamstring pain. Both conditions are very frustrating and difficult to treat. They can both be very prolonged. Physical therapy, nsaid's such as advil, (ibuprofen) rest, and injection therapy from a pain management specialist may be helpful. I am glad that you had mri's to rule out disc injury.
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Leanswered
Pain Management 17 years experience
Sciatica: Sciatica is a neuropathic pain due to nerve compression. If you already try physical therapy and rest and your pain is still not resolved, you might need to get MRI of your back and nerve conduction study to identify where the pain comes from. I recommend you see your doctor for evaluation. He/she can refer you to specialist as needed.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
Presacral plexus: Chronic sciatica in a late 20's female is often found in association with an hypermobile sacroiliac joint, which can result from acute mechanical trauma, childbirth, and/or joint hypermobility syndrome. Chronic sciatica probably derives from impingement of the presacral plexus, the "headwaters" region of the sciatic nerve. The presacral plexus overlies the ventral aspect of the sacroiliac joint.
Dr. Timothy Silver
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 24 years experience
Would also have evaluation for possible pirifomis syndrome.
Sep 5, 2013
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
Provided original answer
The Occupational Disabilities Guidelines (ODG) identify over 10 physical examination signs that can be used to diagnose SIJ dysfunction. The fluoroscopic guided diagnostic block of the SIJ is the "gold standard" study to confirm the diagnosis.
Sep 7, 2013
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Many Possibilities: Depending on how long it's been going on, i would consider an evaluation by a spine specialist. Sometimes it could be a muscle imbalance, early onset arthritis or scoliosis. Also could be a pinched nerve/herniated disc. Either way it might be good to figure it out and get appropriate treatment.