are there any problems caused by a tooth extraction? i need to have a tooth pulled, but don't have the money to have anything else done. if i just leave the tooth pulled, without any other implants or work, could the empty space cause problems for my jaw?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Over : Over time, your other teeth will shift into that space, but not in a good way. Your bite may become askew, and you might develop periodontal problems aroung the tilted teeth. This will not happen overnight, so you have a bit of time to make that tooth replacement a priority.
Dr. Michael Wollock
Dentistry 29 years experience
Philadelphia, Yes. : Philadelphia, yes. Teeth can shift into that area, compromising their health. You should consider a short term provisional tooth like a flipper or a snap-it. Hope that is helpful, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow dentistry at suburban square 610-649-0313 www.Dentistryatsuburbansquare.Com.
Dr. Jerry Gordon
Specializes in Dentistry
In : In some cases, a missing tooth will cause teeth in the either the same jaw or opposite jaw to shift. Missing teeth can also make eating more difficult. There are several different treatment options to replace missing teeth, including implants, and permanent bridge, or a removable partial denture. Ask your dentist for treatment options.
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry 45 years experience
Yes. : Yes. It is important to replace missing teeth. However, if you cannot afford a replacement at this time, it is best to rid your mouth of disease and have the tooth removed. The teeth around and above or below the missing tooth will tend to drift into that area. That is why for the integrity of your bite it is important to replace missing teeth. Talk to your dentist about relatively inexpensive ways to maintain the space and not allow other teeth to move into that area.