what should i do about my hamstrings? i had back surgery to remove a benign tumor in my lower back around two years ago. the tumor caused non-stop pain from my lower back to my ankles to the point where i was pretty much bedridden. this lasted for eight m

Dr. Mark Shih
Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine 31 years experience
From : From the sounds of your description, the tumor that was removed had some involvement of the spinal cord or the nerves of the cauda equina descending from the cord. Your description of pain is consistent with a continued neurologic cause of the ongoing pain. This could be from post operative scar tissue about the nerves of the cauda equina or just residuals from damage caused by the original tumor. The recommendations of your physical therapist appear correct, however, there can often be additional measures taken to improve your tolerance of the therapy activities. My recommendation would be to engage the care of a physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation to best guide your recovery. Considerations would be for medications to calm the nerves or consider medications for muscle spasticity if indicated.