does tumescent liposuction cause a lot of swelling? does tumescent liposuction cause as much swelling as regular liposuction, or is it less?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Terrence Higgins
34 years experience Plastic Surgery
Tumescent : Tumescent liposuction is designed to limit swelling as compared to regular or "dry" liposuction. Tumescent lipo uses Epinephrine to constrict blood vessels and therefore limits bleeding. I still ask my patients to wear compression garment for a short period of time post operatively. Best of luck to you.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. Michael Edwards
37 years experience Plastic Surgery
The : The liposuction that is most commonly performed now is referred to as tumescent liposuction. This means that once you are under anesthesia saline is instilled into the area to be treated with a very dilute concentration of adrenaline and to some degree local anesthetic. This helps the small blood vessels in the area treated to tighten so there is less blood loss. Depending on how much fat is removed with liposuction you should expect swelling and some bruising which takes time to resolve, sometimes weeks. I tell my patients they will not see the final result for months as long as they follow post-op instructions. I hope this helps. Dr. Edwards.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Leonard Grossman
36 years experience Plastic Surgery
Tumescent : Tumescent liposuction usually reduces the amount of postoperative swelling. Swelling after liposuction is the way the body responds to the trauma of the procedure. In the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon there is less swelling as a rule, plus there are many ways the swelling can be reduced without the need for compression garments. Good luck from nyc. For more info visit www.Drgrossman.Com.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Azita Madjidi
30 years experience Plastic Surgery
Unrelated: Liposuction causes swelling. Tumescence will keep blood loss lower when it is done prior to liposuction. Most of the fluid is removed when the fat is suctioned.
Answered on Sep 14, 2014
1