Vancouver, WA

Potassium levels a little low. my potassium levels were a little low, most likely due to water pills i take ( triamterene ) dr put me on potassium 10 meq once a day, been on them for a month now and still feeling crummy and getting leg cramps and soreness

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
Yes, : Yes, it is possible that potassium levels can continue to drop even though you are taking potassium pills. Rechecking the potassium would be reasonable. Also you may need a magnesium supplement for your cramping so ask your doctor about that. There are foods that can increase your potassium (bananas, melon, etc), so after your potassium is rechecked and if it is still low that is something to consider.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016